This Simple Migration to c-treeACE Improves Data Integrity & Licensing Flexibility
“I was able to replace my existing database API calls with c-treeACE in about a weekend. It was an easy one- to-one replacement.”
– William Shipley, Founder and CEO
Schuyler House Needs Included:
- Database migration
- Database enhancements including reduced data corruption, online backups, and encryption
- Flexible licensing
- Quality technical support
The c-treeACE Solution Included:
- Strength of technology
- Flexible licensing
- Excellent technical support
- Reduced data corruption
- On-line backups
￼Schuyler House, based in Valencia, CA, is the maker of SchuyLab, a Laboratory Information System (LIS). SchuyLab interfaces with clinical analyzers, electronic medical record systems (EMR), health information systems (HIS), billing systems, and office systems, usually via the HL7 protocol. This allows a clinical facility to make a “best of breed” selection of systems it has, or wishes to obtain.
c-treeACE, the Database Schuyler House Felt It Already Knew
￼Schuyler House originally based its application on Actian Corporation’s (formerly Pervasive Software) Btrieve® ISAM database solution. When the time came to modernize SchuyLab, Schuyler House looked for alternatives. FairCom c-treeACE was a natural standout because both c-treeACE and the Actian solution utilize a B-tree algorithm and each table is typically stored in a different file (no separate tablespace), so it is easy to shuttle data back and forth. Both are platform (OS) agnostic, fully ACID-compliant, and both offer NoSQL Key-Value Stores. The security of “knowing” c-treeACE without previous use lowered the risk of making the move.
Strong Technology, Business Flexibility, Excellent Technical Support
￼The strength of the technology, the business flexibility, and maybe more importantly, the excellent technical support made the decision to go with c-treeACE the obvious one. The key database enhancements Schuyler House was looking for included reduced data corruption, on-line backups, and encryption for ever stringent regulatory compliance such as HIPAA and EU Directive 95/46/EC.
￼From the business angle, an important goal for the next generation of SchuyLab was to provide better licensing models for its customers. As a mission, Schuyler House is charged with improving health care around the globe. As a part of this mission, it is dedicated to providing no-cost solutions to healthcare providers in developing countries. A consequence of this is that no single licensing model works.
￼Schuyler House needed a partner flexible enough to provide the right model for every scenario.
Schuyler House was impressed with the quality of the technical support delivered by FairCom during their migration process. Engineers consistently provided timely and thorough responses to all inquiries and offered suggestions for best practices to improve the overall application.
Data Integrity, Encryption, On-line Backups
￼Schuyler House and FairCom examined the features needed to bring advanced functionality to SchuyLab. The primary concern was first and foremost data integrity.
￼As Schuyler House works in many developing parts of the world, protection against power interruptions is vital. By applying the ACID transaction protection offered by c-treeACE to all database updates, database integrity is assured even in the worst of disasters. The database server has to provide complete fast recovery in case of system failure. With c- treeACE, costly and time consuming index rebuilds are soon to be a thing of the past for routine operations.
￼Protecting data at rest is also a pressing concern with today’s healthcare security requirements. This frequently involves choices of who ultimately has the master “key” to the data, which can make deployment and future management extremely challenging. c-treeACE provides easy-to- deploy data protection that shields the underlying lab data from prying eyes.
￼It is an unfortunate, but all too familiar reality that data is simply not backed up often enough. Many times it is a complex and hassle-prone process that requires stopping workflows. With c-treeACE database technology, there is no need to stop workflows or the database server. The Dynamic Dump feature allows c- treeACE to cleanly back up data for safekeeping. And, with transaction logs available, complete roll-forward capabilities can be employed to bring a restored database back to a point in time.
Fast and Easy Replacement Strategy
￼William Shipley, the Founder and CEO of Schuyler House, commented, “I was able to replace my existing database API calls with c‐treeACE in about a weekend. It was an easy one-to-one replacement.”
The c-treeACE record-oriented API is broad and complete, encompassing nearly any data storage and retrieval requirement. Using a few very basic c-treeACE API calls, an application can be up and running in very short order. The process of replacing ISAM database API calls from other database engines with those from c-treeACE is nearly effortless. Because the API replacement was straightforward for Schuyler House, additional attention could be placed on providing advanced transaction control over the data.
The Bottom Line
￼Schuyler House selected FairCom because of the enhancements offered by c-treeACE, the ease of migration, the business flexibility, excellent technical support. Below are highlights of the results of the migration:
- Powerful client-server database engine providing complete transaction-controlled data protection
- Vast reduction in support costs for both Schuyler House and its customers
- Elimination of time-consuming index rebuilds for common power outages
- Easy-to-deploy encryption guarding HIPAA-protected patient data
- Seamless online data backups without stopping the server
- Flexible licensing and deployment models creating a competitive advantage in this highly advanced market
- Advancement of the Schuyler House Mission extending access to quality healthcare in developing countries and around the globe
About SchuyLab, The One Stop Solution For Laboratories
￼SchuyLab provides smooth, efficient workflows for laboratories, from the moment orders are placed until doctors have results in hand. SchuyLab does this by combining integrating with interfacing:
- Integrating includes accessioning, worksheets, QC, billing and reporting. It also includes automatic faxing, billing and Internet access. This makes movement of specimens, data, and payments fast and efficient—a “one stop” solution for laboratories. A networked system of 50+ PCs can turn out results on 4,000 accessions a day or about 40,000 tests per day.
- Interfacing comes into play through available analyzers within the lab. SchuyLab’s analyzer interfaces are individually written for each instrument; they don’t require “black box” or secondary PCs to connect. As for interfacing with other EMR or HIS systems, SchuyLab speaks HL7 fluently, and interfaces with over a hundred different EMR/HIS systems on the market. Orders are received, and results are electronically sent back to doctors via secured connections.