January 6, 2016
FairCom DB License Issues? Things to Check
Note: c-treeACE became FairCom DB in November 2020.
Every so often you will need to install a new License Authorization File for one reason or another. You will receive the file from FairCom or from an application vendor who partners with FairCom. Everything seems to be in place. You try to log onto the FairCom Server. Instead of the familiar greeting from your database, you get errors. You may see an error 960:
LICENSE ERROR: License initialization failed due to a missing License Authorization File
No need to fret … it happens to the best of us. Before you panic and start looking for phone numbers to dial, let’s look at a few of the most common causes of license issues.
Here are the things to check when having license issues:
- How did they FTP transfer the .lic files to the machines? We find that only a binary FTP works. ASCII transfers have been found to NOT work.
- Did they restart the server after copying a new file? It sounds simple enough, but it is important to restart when you change license files.
- Did they move all previous .lic files?
- Don’t forget to look at the CTSTATUS.FCS files. They usually describe exactly what is happening.
- If you are still having problems, make some notes about the exact symptoms before you contact support. Be very specific:
- Did the server start?
- Is the connection count correct?
- Are older clients unable to connect?
- And be sure to include a copy of your CTSTATUS.FCS files.
We hope you never experience any license issues. If you do, we hope these tips help you solve them in a hurry.