September 30, 2012
Inside c-treeACE: Interface Technology
With this issue we conclude our c‑treeACE database technology overview series with a review of all the flexible ways we allow you to access that technology focusing on the communications layer and its many interface options.
The Big Picture
To review, c‑treeACE is a sophisticated, multithreaded advanced indexing engine composed of multiple subsystems:
- The Core Engine, which comprises three main services: the Thread Manager, the Disk I/O Manager and the Memory Manager, besides the data itself;
- The Transactional and Operational Management layers, which includes all low-level functions to control and maintain transaction integrity, and includes the framework for the data access interfaces, such as SQL access;
- The Low Level API, which provides the interface for applications and programs to access the data structures, through a basic set of functions, such as insert, delete, etc.
- The Communication Layer, which provides the high level integration interfaces for access to c‑treeACE data through industry standard APIs, such as JDBC, ODBC, ADO.NET, etc.
To access these many features, a vast array of interface options are available with c‑treeACE to both enhance your productivity and obtain the best in database performance. From direct record-oriented ISAM access to the latest ADO.NET SQL frameworks, mix and match your preferred choice of API with your favorite development environment.
The communications interface provides a high-level integration channel for access to c‑treeACE data through industry-standard APIs. The numerous interfaces supported can be broken down into two categories: ISAM and SQL.
ISAM – Direct Record Access
A direct-record access C API offers the fastest database access possible with hundreds of specialized API calls available. The relational c‑treeDB layer incorporates the additional aspects of sessions, databases, tables, records, and fields.
- c‑treeDB C
- c‑treeDB C++
- c‑treeDB.NET C#/VB/C++
- c‑treeDB Java
- Codegear VCL
SQL – Relational Access
c‑treeACE SQL provides ANSI SQL compatible access to existing data.
Interface technologies are ever evolving to meet new challenges and environments. As new technologies become mainstream, FairCom strives to incorporate the most popular and relevant APIs. Ask us about Btrieve and COBOL interfaces!
- Inside c‑treeACE: Core Engine Technology
- Inside c‑treeACE: Transactional Technology
- Inside c‑treeACE: Operational Technology
- Inside c‑treeACE: Interface Technology