March 27, 2018
FairCom DB users receive instant database performance enhancements with V11.5 upgrade
Note: c-treeACE became FairCom DB in November 2020.
High performance is something that is wanted and needed by most, if not all, database users. In fact, it is a leading factor in the decision making process for which database solution to purchase. After the database has been in production for some time, the quest of high performance does not stop. Of course, one of the challenges to achieving increased performance is doing so without incurring downtime or making changes to the system.
FairCom DB multimodel database users experience high levels of performance on a consistent basis. The FairCom team has built instant performance enhancements into the most recently released version of FairCom DB. These instant performance enhancements do not require changes to the system or cause downtime beyond a simple upgrade process. The enhancements occur when users upgrade to V11.5, regardless of the previous FairCom DB version they are coming from.
These instant performance enhancements include:
- Removal of unnecessary checkpoint and transaction flushing when the background flush threads fire.
- Increased rebuild performance in all use cases with enhancement of the logic that controls the flushing of files.
- Faster existing index scans with new logic, with further performance gain through size reduction of the index file if many unused nodes exist in the original index file.
- Increased forward roll speed when processing many transaction logs, which could result in performance gain of several hundred percent.
- Improved update list for synchronization object management for the handling of mutexes, checkpoints and calls to force files to be flushed to disk.
- Faster query on Multi-Schema Tables with the improvement of the c-treeDB ctdbGetRecordCount function to allow a good execution plan to be selected in situations that previously prevented the optimizer from making an educated optimization.
- FairCom DB SQL Instant Performance Enhancements.
- Increased speed of SQL insert operations when the current database contains multiple tables with IDENTITY fields and a new IDENTITY field is added in unrelated tables.
- Improvement of parameterized queries.
- c-treeDB Instant Performance Enhancements.
- Streamlined logic in certain operations, such as Open, Create (temp tables), and Alter Table.
- Streamlined field name duplication checks.
- Optimized logic for ctdbFindRecord when using variable-length records.
The Instant Performances Enhancements are only a sampling of the new features found in FairCom DB V11.5. There are a number of new features that can be configured by the developer to increase performance.