November 10, 2015
Existing V6 Users
This information is intended as a quick reference to demonstrate how easy it is to move from previous versions of c‑tree database technology to the latest c‑treeACE. Because c‑treeACE is a flexible tool that has enjoyed great longevity, it is impossible to anticipate every situation that will be encountered when upgrading. As always, our outstanding engineering team is ready to assist at every opportunity. Feel free to contact your nearest FairCom office for advice and guidance before migrating your application. We have helped successfully migrate many original c‑tree applications to our very latest versions, sometimes within minutes.
V6 introduced updated c‑tree Plus file format with extended headers for advanced feature support.
- Convert your existing V6 data files with the ctcv67 conversion utility. This utility converts existing c‑tree Plus data files to the extended format introduced in V7. Extended header support offers HUGE file support and segmented files.
- Use the Xtd8 file creation functions to create new Extended files.
- For data files supporting HUGE file support, remember to update your duplicate index keys in the IFIL definitions to include an additional 4 bytes for the associated record position.
- Note that the ctreep.h header file automatically includes the ctv6v7.h header.
- Cleanly shut down any existing V6 Servers and remove remaining transaction logs. V9 introduces a new transaction log format.
- Store a copy of the V6 dynamic dump restore utility (ctrdmp) with any remaining backup files in case of future recovery. Consider validating a fresh V9 dump and restore and review your backup procedures at this time.