November 10, 2015
Existing V4 Users
This information is intended as a quick reference to demonstrate how easy it is to move from previous versions of c‑tree database technology to the latest c‑treeACE. Because c‑treeACE is a flexible tool that has enjoyed great longevity, it is impossible to anticipate every situation that will be encountered when upgrading. As always, our outstanding engineering team is ready to assist at every opportunity. Feel free to contact your nearest FairCom office for advice and guidance before migrating your application. We have helped successfully migrate many original c‑tree applications to our very latest versions, sometimes within minutes.
Existing c‑tree V4 files require conversion to the updated c‑treeACE format. The following steps outline this process.
- Make a BACKUP of ALL OF YOUR FILES before you begin!
- Convert your existing data files with the ctcv43 file conversion utility and set these converted files aside.
- Use the ctexmc parameter file create utility to create empty data and index files from your existing parameter files. (We do this as the IFIL conversion will require a valid index file to be in place, even if empty.)
- Copy in your newly converted data files overwriting the empty data files just created by ctexmc. (Leave the new empty index files in place.)
- Convert your existing parameter files to IFIL structures with ctptoi parameter conversion utility. This utility will place an IFILstructure directly into the converted data files.
- Rebuild your index files with the ctrbldif rebuild utility.
- (Optional) Stamp a DODA structure (data schema) based on the ‘C’ structure definitions into your data file with the c‑treeACEPutDODA() API call. The DODA makes available many higher level interfaces such as ODBC, c‑treeDB, .NET and c‑treeACE SQL.
- Include the single c‑treeACE ctreep.h header file in your application to replace the previous numerous c‑tree headers: