September 30, 2011
Facts about Brazil
- It is the only country in the Americas that speaks Portuguese.
- The Brazilian population represents 49% of the total population of South America, 33% of the total Latin American population and more than 1/5 of the Americas (21%) (As a reference, the U.S. represents 34% of the population of the Americas — Wow — Together we represent more than 50%!)
- Currently, the Brazilian economy is twice as large as the Mexican economy. (2010)
- Seven of the ten largest banks in Latin America are Brazilian. Indeed, five of the top five.
- Rio de Janeiro offers some of the most beautiful, and popular, beaches and skylines in the world.
- Brazil is the only country with 5 soccer world championships, and Pelé (Edson Arantes do Nascimento) is considered by most as the best soccer player ever. The 2014 Soccer World cup will be held in Brazil, as well as the 2016 Olympic Games (in Rio de Janeiro). It is the first time ever that the two most important sports events will be held in the same country with so few years of difference. (With offices in Europe AND South America, FairCom takes football/soccer very seriously!)
- São Paulo is the 7th largest city in the world with nearly 19 million people. (2010) It is larger than all U.S. cities except New York City.
- São Paulo has the largest fleet of helicopters and private jets in the world. (NYC is second in both cases)
- São Paulo has the largest Ferrari retailer in the world (Los Angeles is second. And OK, you don’t see that many Ferraris among the 7 millions cars that run in the city.)
- The São Paulo subway system transports 3.3 million people a day. The metro tram system transports close to 2 million more. Traffic jams have measured over one hundred miles on the worst days!
- Brazil always opens the United Nations General Assembly. (Something about the fact that they were the first country to become a member in 1945 gives them this privilege.) 2011 also marked the first time a woman was the first speaker as Brazil elected its first woman president in 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly
- São Paulo has been home to FairCom Brazil since 1997!